Experienced Audit Staff
Summary of Responsibilities
Performs a wide variety of diversified accounting and assurance assignments under the supervision of different professionals at various levels. Applies accounting knowledge in an appropriate manner for level and displays and ability to meet time constraints. When unusual problems arise, outlines them for the supervisor and seeks guidance on correct course of action.
- Knows and understands the reason behind the firm’s policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates with clients to receive information necessary to complete the engagement with a minimum of disruption to clients.
- Understands the rules, regulations, and Code of Professional Conduct of the AICPA
- Prepares orderly workpapers in electronic form that document preparation processes
- Attends and participates in professional education including in-house industry group meetings and in professionally sponsored training sessions.
- Progresses professionally by working toward passing the CPA exam as soon as possible.
- Reconciles client records to trial balance, which may include analytical procedures, and performs schedule computations of prepaids, accruals, property, and equipment, and calculates depreciation expense.
- Performs other accounting, assurance, and consulting duties as needed in engagements and as assigned by supervisory personnel.
- Expected to read industry-specific journals.
- May train other staff accountants.
- Involved in industry-specific group meetings.
- Obtains a working knowledge of research techniques and the various research sources in the firm library.
- Becomes familiar with pronouncements of the FASB, AICPA, and when assigned to governmental engagements, the GAO and GASB.
- Becomes proficient at preparing financial statements using the firm’s software programs.
- Expected to provide ideas to improve client’s systems and operation during the engagement by identifying deficiencies.
- Involved in the engagement planning process.
- Performs increasingly complex assurance engagement tasks.
- After two busy seasons, reviews simple engagements and/or parts of more complex engagements.
- Crosscheck documentation entries of others.
- Performs complex accounting/bookkeeping work associated with assurance engagements.
- Performs simple to intermediate research and documents results.
- Prepares basic to moderately complex financial statements and footnote disclosures.
- Mastered responsibilities and position requirements for Audit Staff.
- Minimum of 6 to 18 months full-time experience (including normal overtime requirements) having worked at least two busy seasons while demonstrating a progression in complexity of accounting tasks.
- Possesses CPA certification or is continuing to work toward certification (including 150 hour requirement.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
- Requires the ability to work overtime, as necessary, in order to meet client imposed and/or government mandated filing deadlines.
- Requires the ability to meet the demands of a fast paced, deadline oriented environment.
- Requires the ability to manage multiple and conflicting tasks requiring excellent organization and task prioritization skills.
- Requires the ability to use diplomacy when interacting with co-workers, superiors and clients.
- Requires the ability to remain sedentary; only occasional walking and standing are required.
- The noise level in the office environment is moderate (office equipment, telephones, etc.)
Education, Experience, and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or master’s degree in accounting.
- Minimum of 40 hours of continuing professional education is required each year.
- Proficiency with computer, spreadsheet software program, and calculator.
- Well-rounded knowledge of accounting principles and FASB, GAAS, GAAP.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in English.
- Ability to understand and follow instructions.
- Either holds a current and valid certified public accountant’s license, or is working toward obtaining the license by taking and passing the applicable state CPA exam.
Advancement Requirements for Audit Senior
- Mastered responsibilities and position requirements of Experienced Audit Staff.
- Minimum of 24 to 36 months of experience (including normal required overtime)
- Eligible to sit for the CPA exam (150 hour requirement) and is actively working toward passing the CPA examination.
- Shareholder discretion to change or except requirements.
- Demonstrating knowledge of (by discretionary examination or observance):
- Advance knowledge of professional standards, regulatory and legal requirements
- Writing skills
- Problem-solving critical thinking skills
- Through knowledge of FASB, GAAS, GAAP
- Continuing education regarding professional standards, regulatory and legal requirements
- Project management
- Advancement of skills related to assurance engagements and accounting matters
- Professional standards, regulatory and legal requirements
- Research basics
- Computer software applications
- Assurance software applications
- Accounting and bookkeeping
- Assurance engagement process
- Basic assurance concepts