Summary of Responsibilities
Performs a wide variety of diversified, complex, tax-related tasks and supervises other tax department personnel.
- Assumes the responsibility for the smooth flow of tax returns.
- Delegates work, supervises seniors and tax staff, provides feedback to them, and evaluates their progress.
- Acts as director-in-charge for personal and business clients.
- Acts as key client contact person for various engagements.
- Prepares the most complex tax returns.
- Approves all returns with the exception of those dealing with specialized issues that require the expertise of another firm professional.
- Acts as a resource for tax staff, senior tax accountants, and tax supervisors.
- Performs more complex tax research.
- Prepares projections and becomes involved in planning for more complex clients.
- Becomes involved in tax planning for client situations of varying levels of complexity.
- Assists accounting and auditing staff members in client meetings.
- Develops a general understanding of firm philosophy and tax opinions.
- Understands, supports and advances the firm’s mission, goals, objectives and strategies.
- Reviews tax accruals and associated working papers.
- Analyzes IRS notices and drafts responses.
- Reviews IRS notice responses prepared by other tax personnel.
- Represents clients before the IRS.
- Participates in tax department administrative projects.
- Bills clients and discusses fees with smaller clients.
- Contributes to the client service team by producing quality work with quick turnaround and attentive service.
- Establishes good working relationships with all firm personnel.
- Recognizes opportunities to provide additional services to existing clients.
- Demonstrates initiative, creativity, and imagination.
- Plans, supervises and completes routine to complex engagements.
- Becomes an expert in their assigned areas.
- Exhibits time management and organization skills.
- May assist with recruitment and training of other tax department personnel.
- Develops entrepreneurial approach to client service and good working relationships with client personnel.
- Maintains contacts with peers, develops network of business contacts, meets with prospective clients, and cultivates referrals.
- Accepts volunteer positions in community organizations.
- Continues to develop industry expertise.
- Assists principals/shareholders with writing articles and making presentations.
- Develops a broad general knowledge of economic, political, and business conditions.
- Assists in firm administrative functions.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
- Mastered responsibilities and position requirements of Tax Senior.
- Four or more years full-time experience in accounting or tax return preparation.
- CPA certification.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
- Requires the ability to work overtime, as necessary, in order to meet client imposed and/or government mandated filing deadlines.
- Requires the ability to meet the demands of a fast paced, deadline oriented environment.
- Requires the ability to manage multiple and conflicting tasks requiring excellent organization and task prioritization skills.
- Requires the ability to use diplomacy when interacting with co-workers, superiors and clients.
- Requires the ability to remain sedentary; only occasional walking and standing are required.
- The noise level in the office environment is moderate (office equipment, telephones, etc.).