Business Valuation & Litigation Support Services
There are numerous benefits to be gained from knowing the value of your business, or your interest in one:
- As a management tool, owners and shareholders need to know the value to be able to make informed business decisions.
- In the event of a sale, for example, a credible valuation ensures that time and effort are focused solely on competitive bids from prospective buyers.
- Valuations for income, estate and gift tax purposes ensure compliance with tax law; they also ensure that taxes are not overpaid, thereby minimizing tax liabilities.
- Valuations can also offer insight into the strengths and weaknesses of a business that affect its value. Improving weak areas can serve to maximize value for owners and/or shareholders.
- Finally, valuations can serve as a way to protect assets.
HM&M can assist you by creating a comprehensive valuation to support you and your business should a valuation dispute arise. To determine the true value of your business, you must engage the right valuation professionals.
Contact HM&M for a consultation
Choosing The Right Valuation Professional
A qualified valuation professional will possess a thorough understanding of accounting standards, as well as recommended practices set forth by the various valuation organizations. Therefore, a key aspect in selecting a valuation professional is ensuring the right credentials and experience. This includes training and experience with both mediation and litigation. As a way of saving time and money, mediation is always preferred when a valuation dispute arises. Should litigation come into play, however, it is essential to not only have a valuation that can stand up in a court of law, but a valuation professional that can clearly communicate the methodology used to prepare the valuation in the first place.
HM&M's Valuation Credentials
HM&M’s valuation professionals have more than 40 years of combined experience and have performed more than 700 valuations, in a variety of industries. In addition, HM&M’s professionals hold a number of designations including:
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV)
- Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF)
- Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA)
- Certified Business Appraiser (CBA)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- The Firm’s lead Business Valuation Partner also holds a Doctor of Jurisprudence (JD)
Valuation Service Offerings
Whether an estimate of value is required, or a detailed opinion report, the Firm’s valuation professionals begin the process by evaluating both intangibles and tangibles, before selecting the appropriate valuation methodology. HM&M offers a full range of valuation services including, but not limited to, the following:
- Estate, trust and gift tax planning
- Shareholder disputes
- Buy/sell agreements
- Stock based compensation arrangements
- Marriage dissolution
- Corporate reorganizations
- Income tax matters
Litigation Support Services
Should a valuation dispute arise, HM&M can support you through the process, as an expert witness. Business valuation is traditionally a series of steps, litigation support typically focuses on the profit calculations and quantifying economic data. Let us help you navigate through the controversy.
With a reputation for adding value through the provision of high quality, innovative solutions and a premier level of client service in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, call on our valuation professionals to accurately value your business.