HM&M Student Leadership Program
Join us for an interactive accounting experience that can launch you into your dream career – May 16-18, 2023
HM&M’s exclusive program is highly interactive and focuses on leadership and career development. We encourage you to join participants from across Texas for three days of high‐energy learning, professional and personal skills development, networking, and team‐building.
Throughout the program, you will have the opportunity to interact with HM&M leaders and associates, as well as students from other colleges. You will learn what it takes to build a successful career in public accounting from a leading accounting, tax and advisory firm that was most recently ranked as the 16th largest public accounting firm in the DFW Metroplex by the Dallas Business Journal.
Our goal is to guide young leaders so they are equipped to better serve their employer, school, and community. The HM&M Student Leadership Program will encourage you to not only cast a vision, but to execute it.
- Build a professional network
- Develop and enhance professional and communication skills
- Make the connection between academics and career
- Explore new ideas and areas of interest
- Gain exposure to career options, advice, and job search tips
- Treat all individuals with respect and dignity
- Strive to conduct yourself in a mature and professional manner
- Make ethical decisions and act with integrity
- Show consideration and respect of others by being on time for meetings and programs
- Meet deadlines and follow through on your commitments
- Respect HM&M’s facility by maintaining a safe, clean, and professional learning environment
- Be a role model in and outside of the classroom
- Be consistent in what you say and do
- Applicants must have their first two accounting classes completed by May 2022
- Applicants must be any major in the business school with a minimum GPA of 3.0
The five goals of the HM&M Student Leadership Program
Recognize student leaders – HM&M is committed to recognizing and promoting an environment that will help you to stand out as a student leader in your community. A student leader is any student who takes on the responsibility of spreading knowledge through inspiration, tutoring, campaigns, etc. We want to partner with you by providing an invaluable learning experience that will amplify your developing talents.
Better prepare students for life after college – Have you begun to hear the question, “So, are you tax or audit”? If not, you will. And the idea of confidently selecting your career path at this stage can be both daunting and exciting. In our program, you will be joined by students in similar situations as we focus on career mentorship and exercises to sharpen your communication, organization, and human relation skills. Just remember, we’ve all been there!
Provide students with a leadership record that can be submitted to potential employers – HM&M is committed to helping you reach your professional goals; whether that goal is a career with HM&M or simply gaining exposure to career options, advice, and job search tips.
Help students identify and meet specific leadership outcomes – HM&M is here to help you identify your strengths and weaknesses. Our goal is to make you a well‐rounded professional by focusing on the following leadership traits: Core Leadership Competencies, Personal Transformation, Organization Leadership, and Community Leadership.
Provide a comprehensive picture of leadership and the skills needed to be a good leader – One of our goals is to help you live the life of a good leader. Good leaders are defined by their choices, attitude, and day‐to‐day interactions. Strong leadership skills include the ability to: communicate, motivate, think positively, be trustworthy, apply feedback, and think outside the box.